Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Bitten by the Book Worm

When I began reading at the age of 12, the first real novel I read was: Number the Stars. It was a sad tale about how two young friends experience first hand the deadly force the Nazi reign has over their small town.  As the two friends learn to hide secrets, deal with Nazi home invasions, and life threatening situations; they grow into young women.  For a 12 year old girl, this was a gripping page turning novel. 

Each time I walk into a bookstore or library I have this chill down my spine.  I allow my hand to rise, slowly, never to hasty to pass over a book.  My eyes become focused on the spines of each of the books.  Skimming over the surfaces works until I feel compelled to raise my hand and let the tips of my fingers caress the spine.  Sometimes there is no reaction, but when there is a slight burst of energy, my hand carefully encases the book, cradling it against my chest.  I fold it open slowly and absorb the synopsis of the books contents. 

With the musty scent of the pages wafting through my nostrils, I cannot help but wish for a candle scent such as this.  Library book pages may be stuck together, but with slow, careful precision, I am able to pull them apart.  New books have crisp white pages just waiting for me to run my fingers over the finely printed words.  To crave the feel and smell of books is a true sign that one has been bitten by a bookworm. 

The goal of this blog is not only to review novellas that have drawn me into their stories, but to have suggestions made from my readers about books that they have been drawn into as well.  I not only wish to expand my book worm taste buds, but be able to help others do the same.


Your comments, questions, and suggestions are welcome in this blog.  Enjoy fellow Book Worms!

No comments:

Post a Comment